Debugging WebObjects

I got the chance to play with debugging a running WebObjects app today, with the added fun of having a roomful of 20 users of the app taking turns to mention "did you know that [X|Y|Z] isn't working?" Long story short, if you need to get the status of threads of a running WebObjects app, jdb provides some great tools. I have only scratched the surface of it, thanks entirely to the great intro document by Andrew Lindesay....

November 30, 2005 · 1 min

WebObjects officially cross-platform again

Apple released an update to WebObjects - WO 5.3.1 Developer - which includes these changes: This update addresses the issues and adds support for the features listed below: (emphasis mine) Adds a modified Developer tools license that allows WebObjects applications developed with Xcode 2.2 to be deployed on any compatible platform Adds better SQL Generation in the EOModeler Plug-in design tool in Xcode Improved FetchSpecification building in the EOModeler Plugin design tool in Xcode Adds a "...

November 10, 2005 · 2 min

WOFileUpload may be broken.

Update: Nope it ain't broken. It was purely operator error on my part - I missed an "=" sign in the .html for a component, and that was borking file uploads. It was weird, because Safari and IE would upload just fine, but Firefox would barf. Josh just discovered a weird behaviour in Pachyderm, where uploading files was breaking. But only on Firefox. WTF? A quick google brought up this post on NSLog....

October 27, 2005 · 1 min

Tomcat ♥ WebObjects?

This message from Jeremy Matthews just came across the WO-Deploy list, and I wanted to hurl a copy here to remind me to check it out. Looks like the latest stable build of Tomcat 5.5 may include some love for WebObjects... (emphasis mine) FYI, We just released Tomcat 5.5.12 installer for Mac OS X 10.2-10.4.2 What's New: more than 100+ changes from the apache group; view changelogs at: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/changelog.html Changed to the newest stable distro (5....

October 12, 2005 · 1 min

Playing with Rails

I played around with Rails a bit today. I contrived an excuse to attempt to create a generic "event management" application. I'm familiar with the basic requirements of the app, and have a need to have a generalizable app available to share with groups and departments on campus. And, I want to play around with Rails and ruby to get a feel for what it can do. Well, I had better luck than Stephen did, but still not quite the magic "...

October 11, 2005 · 3 min

Pachyderm Asset Transformation Dilemma

The Pachyderm project uses jGenerator to wrap images in a flash .swf container for display in the final product. That process does a few things that are pretty handy: Makes loading the images into flash easy - it's just loading more flash... Lets us embed metadata in a "tombstone" display field, much like the cards displayed in a museum. These tombstones travel with the asset, and can be displayed automagically wherever appropriate....

September 22, 2005 · 4 min

Fun with jGenerator

We're using jGenerator for the Pachyderm project - to replace the abandoned Macromedia Generator product - for wrapping images in .swf files for display within Pachyderm presentations. The .swf files provide value-add stuff like "tombstone" data, and a lightweight, unobtrusive form of DRM. However, jGenerator has been rather neglected for 3 years now, and as a result it's starting to show cobwebs etc... Remember my friend Murphy? Largely a result of these cobwebs....

September 19, 2005 · 2 min

Murphy: 1, D'Arcy: 1

After what felt like a very long weekend of debugging jGenerator, I finally figured out what was going wrong, and how to fix it. It didn't make sense at all, which is why I didn't pursue that line of investigation earlier. The library worked fine before. It hadn't changed. Then it didn't work. I was figuring that meant something outside of the library had changed, and had borked something used by jGenerator....

September 11, 2005 · 2 min

Automator for Deploying WebObjects Application

For the Pachyderm project, we wanted a way to automatically update, build and deploy a WebObjects application and its supporting framework. The initial reaction was to just use a shell script, with xcodebuild running on the server to build the appropriate projects. That didn't work for us, because our server is still running 10.3 (with the appropriate older XCode dev. kit), while we've moved on to 10.4 and XCode 2.1 for development- so our server can't understand the ....

August 24, 2005 · 2 min

WebObjects Deployment and Servlet Single Directory

Update: Added some details of the build settings for converting an existing WebObjects Application project to a tidy servlet deployment package. King, Josh and I spent the morning in the WebObjects lab trying to figure out a way to get Pachyderm deployed on non-MacOSX boxes under the new regime. We've now got a spanky new Tomcat-enabled build, that sucks in all of the supporting WebObjects, APOLLO, and Pachyderm jars into a single ....

June 8, 2005 · 4 min