Photography as digital storytelling #ds106
What is photography?
sharing perspective in and through space and time
stopping time. and sharing that frame of reference.
cheap. fast. out of control.
easy. mobile. personal. pervasive.
amateur vs. pro (fun vs. work?)
relationship between photographer and subject
- susan sontag's On Photography essays (applying feminist theory to understand power imposed by camera)
- tao of photography
documentary vs. art (how do you define "art"?) photos of same(ish) subject over time eg. bow river valley
technofetishism - really easy to get distracted by focus on gear rather than photography
immerse yourself in photography. Lots of it.
Power of the still image
- Big Picture
- NYT Lens
- TEDxOilSpill Expedition (James Duncan Davidson, Pinar Ozger and Kris Krug)
- Daily Dose of Imagery
- A walk through Durham Township, Pennsylvania
- Flickr Blog
- New York Photography
- Photografr.com - Chris Nixon
- Splorp's Momentile - Grant Hutchinson
- James Tworrow's street photography
- Doug Springer's street and concert photography
- The Daily Photography of Andreas Manessinger
- The New Breed of Documentary Photographers
- The Photobook (samples of curated photographic stories in book form)
- The Path Less Pedaled (ride across America on a bike).
- Di Bedard's Trek set (and behind the scenes)
- Flickr Interestingness (and RSS feed)
- Flickr Contacts
Photography to document and support storytelling
- Bags of Gold post
- best of 2010
- Northern Voice
- Open Education 2009 eg. conversation