Unreal Engine Log - Friday, September 29


I’m trying to practice modelling/staging/lighting the Taylor Institute learning spaces in order to give me a chance to learn how to build stuff in Unreal Engine 5. I have some .FBX exports that a staff member had created back in 2016 from the original Revit .RVT files for the first and second floors of the TI, and have been trying to process/fix/import those. I don’t have the original .RVT files, to these .FBX exports are as close as I’ll get. They look like they get some things right – individual steps and railings on staircases are modelled – and some things quite wrong. It looks like all “ways” were just extruded from the floorplan at an estimated full-storey-height. There are no windows, and no doors. No floors, no ceilings. But, it’s a good start to get a feel for the layout of the space.

I took the .FBX files into Blender (again) and exported a .3DX file containing both. At this point, I’m just randomly trying different options, but it looks like turning off “fix meshes” is useful. Bringing these into a fresh UE5 project, I started playing around with adding different Materials to the meshes.

No ceilings (and no roof…). No floors (watch the first step from the 2nd floor floating study pods…) but I can start applying some textures to see how that works.

Once I add a roof and ceilings, I’ll need to worry about properly lighting the spaces.

We’re going to give the students a set of .FBX files and the handful of simplified architectural diagrams that I have access to, so they can get started without having to model the spaces from scratch. The goal is for them to continue using their existing tools (Revit, Rhino, Blender) which are better suited for architectural modelling), before bringing things into UE5 to start staging and build the video game elements.

Some more work on textures, getting the re-re-re-imported FBX model objects closer to almost working.
Looking into TI 110 from outside the window.


comments powered by Disqus
Last updated: March 01, 2024