With the help of a whole cast of characters, we’ve got our “reference implementation” Pachyderm project server up and running. It’s just a clone of SFMOMA’s Making Sense of Modern Art production server, so we may need to clean out some data and media, but it’s working (apparently) well.
I’ve tried creating a new presentation (a Zoom Screen of an Ansel Adams photo), and the creation process went quite smoothly. I’m having some trouble actually viewing the result, but that’s probably a minor thing.
Cool. The Pachyderm is roaming the Hinterlands once again!
We’ve been slowly adding to the number of weblogs here at the Learning Commons. Heck, at least one of them is active, too!
I wanted a way to have a single page with all of the latest posts sorted by date, from all weblogs.
RSS wouldn’t quite do it. It would sort first by weblog, then by date. Not what I needed.
Blagg + Blosxom sorta does what I wanted, but relies on creating cached text files from the various weblogs. Redundant, and icky.
Then, I tried the WholeSystem MovableType plugin. Works like a charm. I just created a new “meta” weblog, replaced all of the normal “blog post-ish” stuff from the template, and dropped in the WholeSystemEntries goodness.
Now, the index for the weblog goes out and grabs all posts from all weblogs on our system, and displays the newest 30, sorted by date, from whatever weblog they were from. Sweet.
Combined with the handy MT-Rebuild script, which can be set as a cron task, the Uber Weblog should be pretty self-sufficient. I may even add an Uber RSS feed – subscribe to it and you get the most recent LC weblog posts delivered to your aggregator in one easy feed… Might be a clean way to integrate this with the upcoming LC website update…
See for yourself…
Thanks to Al Delgado for the tip on this. There’s a big education bloggers shindig in San Francisco November 22-23. Sounds like it will be quite a gathering.
I hadn’t heard of (or if I’ve heard of it, I promptly forgot about it) the EdBloggers Network. K-12 focussed, with colleges of education participating.
I’ll be keeping an eye on this group… (no, not in a scary restraining-order kind of way…)
I participated in the last CanCore conference call (and promptly forgot to post about it. doh.). One of the items that made its way onto the agenda was to discuss my proposal of adding multiple <technical> elements in a lom to support thumbnail images and various formats of a single learning object.
Anyway, I’ve captured the conclusion of the group, and appended them to my proposal document.
Long story short: survey says “use the relation element, since it’s part of the LOM already. it ain’t as elegant or as useful as multiple technical elements, but at least it doesn’t break anything.”
It doesn’t do what I need, either, but that’s another story. Just adds fuel to the fire for me to build the generic URI thumbnail generator. Just feed a URI and it will attempt to generate (and cache for later uses) a thumbnail. This would operate completely separate from metadata – on the application/interface level – and would work with any and all metadata schemas, since it’s a presentation thing rather than a metadata thing…
MT-Blacklist RULES! I installed version 1.5, and it’s been saving this weblog from hundreds of unsolicited, unwelcome, and unwanted comment spams!
If you run a MT weblog, you REALLY have to install this bad boy. Right now.
Here’s a screenshot of a small, small part of my MT log. This weasel tried several times over the course of a few hours, hammering repeatedly in bursts within seconds of each other (I can only assume it was some kind of software following Google links…)